1.19.2005

The FCC won't let me be.

I just love it when I can parlay a recent favorite quote (see entry below) into a full-length essay.

This month's Catapult column, "Ineffable bawdiness," had actually been rattling around in my brain ever since the incident that inspired it--U2's November performance on Saturday Night Live--but the broader themes I wanted to address weren't really gelling. When I came across that Andre Dubus line, everything started coming together, and I was able to finish the column despite my seasonal-affective-disorder-inspired bout of writers block. Not that I met my deadline, but the article is done nevertheless, and available for your perusal.

The subject of Bono's bawdy behavior also afforded me the opportunity to link to a photo of him as Macphisto, taken during my personal favorite era in the U2 echelon, Zoo TV. I think Christians need to get back in touch with that period in the life of the band--kicking at the darkness by becoming the darkness itself (which my colleague Ken refers to as "doing judo" on evil--using something's own force to defeat it) not only suits them, but it's achingly incarnational.




2 Comments:

At 1/20/2005 10:26 PM, Blogger jeshua said...

excellent catapult article. world needs fewer cookie cutter christians.

 
At 10/26/2005 11:11 PM, Blogger Erik Mann said...

Hi - I trained in judo and karate for many years. I was looking for blogs having to do with judo and came across yours. Nice blog. I have my own have my own mixed style school now that offers most of the traditional judo techniques. Come have a look at it if you want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home