12.24.2004

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light.

Three for the holiday that teach us to embody faith, from the annals of public radio:

01. An Immigrant's First American Christmas - Congolese Diary. Heard this as I was driving from Michigan to Connecticut on Wednesday morning. Crushingly beautiful.

02. Couple Gives the Gift of Electricity to Town Residents. A couple in Iowa paid the December electric bill for every home, business and public building in their city. Come on now. If that ain't what Christmas is all about!

03. Short story: "A Fool For Christmas," by Allan Gurganus. One of the best works of fiction I've ever heard on public radio, possibly even anywhere. My phone started playing its irritating little Latin loop immediately after it finished, and it was Nathan calling to make sure I'd heard the story of Vernon and his pregnant mallrat.

And two simply to make you laugh:

04. Vanquishing 'The Frozen Thing' from the Holiday Table. Commentator Laura Lorson exorcises the culinary demons of Christmases past in a hokey Southern accent.

05. David Sedaris's immortal Santaland Diaries, rebroadcast this morning on Morning Edition.

Addendum! A piece on the New York City Ballet's production of the Nutcracker.

Merry Christmas! Wishing you and yours peace and joy and comfort...

7 Comments:

At 12/26/2004 12:05 AM, Blogger KristentheRN said...

It's good to hear from someone else who loves NPR as much as we do. We missed this stuff unfortunately, but the other day, Diane Rheme replayed the episode with Emily from Indigo Girls (yay!) and the one with Susanna Clarke, author of Jonathan Strange. Some may call me a nerd, but I'm a self-confessed NPR junkie too.

 
At 12/31/2004 7:06 PM, Blogger Neville said...

Kate, I'm not sure if you remember me but I'm from Taylor and I was 3 or 4 years behind you and you were the one who talked to me about "Breaking the Waves" and convinced me to see it (thus, breaking open my love of film to include Lars Von Trier films). I was Phil Boltz' roommate...coming back now?? Anyways, I just wanted to say I find your comments on Ben Reed's blog altogether enlightening and enjoyable and wanted to let you know this. Your comment about all the anonymous comments on the most recent post had me "giggling" quite a bit. Hope all is well at Calvin (you're still there, right?). I'm at Fuller right now pursuing a Master of Arts in Theology and the Arts. I love it so far. Happy New Year's.

 
At 10/08/2005 1:03 PM, Blogger stony said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a ad-adware site/blog. It pretty much covers ad-adware related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 10/11/2005 8:02 PM, Blogger Sunny said...

Your Computer is running slow? Then you should better scan it for adware, spyware and other malware. I have Pro Products on my virus scan Site.

 
At 10/22/2005 11:04 AM, Blogger banjos-511C02 said...

Great blog you have. I have a site about free beginner banjo lesson. You can check it out at free beginner banjo lesson

 
At 10/25/2005 9:24 PM, Blogger banner ads said...

There is alot of Blogs, I never guessed I'd find some usefull information.

Thanks.
I'll be back later to see if anymore good updates are available.

 
At 1/02/2007 4:27 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Hi, I'm Denise, fellow evangelical expatriate, lurking here-- I've enjoyed visiting your blog many times. But really, you're from Taylor? My alma mater, though I am much older than you. I'm glad to know good thinkers can emerge from there, even now. It was a dear place at a dear time in my life. I'm a permanent member of the Dr. Neuhouser fan club, if he is familiar to you.

Peace to you. I'll be back to read some more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home