11.23.2004

You and many others in your clean well-lighted place.

As you may have noticed, I finally figured out how to add a bunch of links to my sidebar, over yonder on the right-hand side of your screen. I wanted to make a few comments about the blogs I've listed there.

First of all, I've only included blogs for now. I hope soon to add links to relevant online magazines (but not necessarily Relevant magazine) and essayists (such as the divine Ms. Annie Lamott, who is once again stringing words together for Salon) and bands (like Over the Rhine, from whose lyrics this entry's title was taken) and etcetera. But for now it's just blogs.

Also, I want to be clear that, although I call them "other expats," the authors of these blogs have not agreed to be identified as such. It was simply the easiest way to categorize them. (I'm open to suggestions for other headings for that links section.) These bloggers represent a diversity of approaches to church and theology and life in general. Some of them intentionally attend (or even pastor) churches firmly within the evangelical tradition in America. Some of them were never fundamentalists in the first place. Some of them are gentle in their constructive criticism, some of them are righteously indignant as hell and not gonna take it anymore. But all of them have been helpful to me in my journey as an outside-insider, which is why I included them.

Today's assigned expatriate reading, selected from among these blogs, is the Slacktivist's treatise on the American Family Association and its protest of the language used in ABC's airing of Saving Private Ryan last week. This entry struck me not only because it is representative of the useless moralizing regularly exercised by organizations like the AFA, but also because it reminded me of a hilarious story from the very beginning of my expatriate experience.

My old friend Kyle Minor is a very talented writer, and many moons ago, he wrote for a number of Christian culture magazines. For one of his assignments, he had to conduct a phone interview with the president of the AFA, during which the president held forth on the evils of modern popular culture as demonstrated by the sheer number of profanities and expletives peppering it. He talked about the ubiquitous "f-word" regularly being forced upon "our children" and "our families" whenever they turned on the radio or the television. He kept putting it that way: "the f-word."

Kyle decided he might at least eke a little humor out of this interview. "I'm sorry, sir," Kyle said, "but for journalistic purposes, I'm going to have to make sure I know which f-word you're talking about. Are you referring to the word 'fuck'?"

A long, long pause on the other end of the phone line. Finally: "Yes. That's the word I was referring to."

The interview ended abruptly shortly thereafter, and Kyle became the hero who had cussed out the president of the American Family Association.

And the Slacktivist is proudly continuing that tradtion today.


4 Comments:

At 11/30/2004 12:01 PM, Blogger wooten said...

Frank Rich who writes in the arts section of the New York Times has a nice article on topic. Check it out...

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/28/arts/28rich.html

 
At 12/02/2004 1:03 AM, Blogger Joel said...

Kate. You are brilliant. This blog is brilliant. You are making me feel like I'm part of a MOVEMENT. You've coined THE perfect for this phenomenon. And now is the time for the evangelical expats.


OK, so...Patton Dodd! You know of him? The Revealer, Killing the Buddha, and even Relevant have just run stuff by/on him. He is ev-exp. incarnate.

To quote Audio Adrenaline, who surely every evangelical expat of our generation has seen in concert 2x or more: "This ain't no trip to a foreign land."

 
At 12/02/2004 3:18 PM, Blogger kate said...

Whoa, Joel--what's so weird is that I DIDN'T SEE YOUR COMMENT UNTIL AFTER I HAD ALREADY WRITTEN MY ENTRY ABOUT PATTON DODD! That's crazy talk. Just crazy!

By the way, can I add Unscene to my expat links?

And wooten, I'm assuming that's as in, Mike Wooten? :) Your comments here are so good. Stick around!

 
At 12/05/2004 11:45 PM, Blogger wooten said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home